Thursday, February 3, 2011

Stay Warm Houston...

So what is with this Houston weather?! Brrr!!!! Even when it snowed last year I don't remember it being THIS cold. At least give us some pretty snow to look at to take our minds off of the ridiculously low temperatures. It is probably very clear to you that I am more of a sundress and flip flops kind of gal :)

In the past in our household, Rick has always been the one to cook. He is great at grilling just about anything and he truly enjoys it. However, I am a firm believer in the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and I wanted to do something nice for him. He gets home much later than I do and who doesn't love to come home from a long day to a hot home-cooked meal (as long as it's edible, right?) I made a promise to Rick that I would make him dinner every night this week. You may laugh but that is a big achievement for me, as I am still a beginner when it comes to cooking.

Now, what in the world do I cook? I looked in a couple of cookbooks and looked online and when I saw it I knew...my personal favorite - TORTILLA SOUP! YUM YUM! I found the easiest recipe and you can even ask Rick, it turned out delish!

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken stock
juice of 1 lime ( 2 tablespoons)
*1 can of diced tomatoes (with juice)
*1 can mild green chiles (with juice)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
2 green onions chopped
1 medium carrot diced
3/4 cup corn kernels
2 cups cooked chopped chicken ( I bought a rotisserie chicken and used that which worked very well)
salt and pepper to taste
tortilla chips
Monterrey Jack cheese
avocado (optional)

*I used 1 1/2 cans of Rotel (the tomatoes with chiles) which is the same thing as buying them separate

Directions:
Simmer chicken stock with tomatoes and chiles, lime juice, cilantro, green onions, carrots, and corn for 45 minutes. Add chicken and let simmer for 5-10 more minutes. After, pour soup in a bowl and add tortilla chips and cheese. Add pieces of avocado and garnish with a lime.

This is such a simple recipe and perfect for a cold night like tonight. Enjoy!

1 comment: