Wednesday, November 16, 2011

If the shoe fits

I work with 3 and 4 year olds and I absolutely LOVE my job. Every day is a new adventure and you never know what funny thing they will come up with. In fact, I always tell myself that I need to start writing all of these down as it might make for a funny book one day.

So at the end of the day today we are playing a game where all of the kiddos have to take their shoes off and step on whatever shape, color, or animal is called. It's almost like the game Twister but they get to stomp, crawl, skip, etc. to different shapes and colors. So Allison* (she's one of my youngest ones) decides she is done playing and wants to go play at a center. She puts her shoes on and asks me to tie them. I check that they are on the right feet (as she loves to put her shoes on all by herself like a big girl even though right and left give us trouble sometime). Her dad comes soon after to pick her up and take her home.

After a few more minutes of playing, we decide we have all had enough of the game and I tell the students to put their shoes back on before picking a center. Kelly* comes over to me with a puzzled look on her face. "Ms. Lindsey my shoes don't fit." Huh? Are they on the right feet? Then it donned on me. Allison and Kelly have the exact same shoes. The picture of Allison wearing clown-size shoes popped in my head as that is how different their sizes are.

By this time Allison had been gone for a good twenty minutes so I had to call them and explain what happened. Imagine having to tell someone, "Um your child has someone else's shoes on." Needless to say they had to turn around and come back to trade the shoes, but not before I put a big K on Kelly's.

Like I said, you never know what the day will bring. The moral of my story - If the shoe fits...ask yourself does it really fit? Is it even your shoe? :)

*Names have been changed for privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment